Whaikorero is part of a series of Ngati Porou reo wananga sponsored by Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Maori. The purpose of the whaikorero wananga is to help prepare potential Ngati Porou reo speakers to take their place on the paepae. Irrespective of their competency to deliver whaikorero, the wananga takes the tauira through a structured process, teaching, discussing and practicing Ngati Porou tikanga. Te Taurahere o Ngati Porou ki Poneke is committed to the ongoing revitalisation of our reo. We want to strengthen and encourage the use of te reo by increasing opportunities for Ngati Porou to engage and connect with each other on a regular basis. Chair, Sir Tamati Reedy and Deputy Chair, Matehaere Konia were often approached to initiate more formal reo wananga. These wananga are in response to those requests.
VIDEO 1: This 6 minute video (click here) is presented by Matehaere Konia, George Konia and Sir Tamati Muturangi Reedy. It comprises 5 sections:
- An introduction to the Whaikorero Wananga
- What is the purpose of the Whaikorero Wananga?
- What areas are covered in the Whaikorero Wananga?
- Who are some of the great Ngati Porou Orators? and lastly
- A mihi from Bevan Hunter about what he thought of the Whaikorero Wananga?
FEEDBACK: For feedback received about the wananga (click here).