E Tu Ngati Porou Feedback and Programme
Celebrating being Ngati Porou
Ngati Porou Whakapapa, Ngati Porou Reo, Te Whariki, Ngati Porou Kapa Haka. It was a weekend (25 & 26 March 2017) of Ngati Porou whakawhanaungatanga. Of the almost 70 whanau who attended many came for the first time including a number of rangatahi. "A beautiful wananga"
Some feedback included:
"Kia koe Tā Tamati me tō hoa Rangatiri ā Reiri Tilly,
Kā mau te wehi ngā mahi e whaea tiana e kōtou e noho mai nā te kaingā ō Tā whiri-mātea. E ea ai ngā wawata e tumanako tia na mai ngā Pakeke te hungā rāngatahi ā ngā mokopuna hoki, ē kite nā ano wera e whai atu nā ngā tohu nui ō te matauranga, tino pai rawātu."
- "inspirational to hear the knowledge of everyone who spoke..."
- "hearing Ngati Porou Maori enabled me to hear the voice of my kuia. That was a gift..."
- "i have felt isolated from my taha Ngai Porou...it is nice to finally feel like I belong, like I have whanau here in Poneke..."
- "it was great to learn whakapapa that was relevant to me..."
- "amazing korero around the Trust Deed - learnt so much..."
- "thank you Poneke Taurahere for organising this beautiful wananga..."
Paikea 3 - Mauke
Merlene Maxwell-Wehi and Wi Wehi shared a new waiata about our tupuna Paikea from Mauke, Rarotonga.
Parepare o te ra i runga i aku toka e
Ko Paikea te patu koperu
Manawa koperu Rai Pipoi e
Rokohia e te tu matetenga
Paikea the great warrior of the ocean
Went fishing at sunset
to catch koperu and
Mackrel at his fishing grounds (Pipoi)
And was washed out to sea.
31 March 2017